From nursery to university – speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) get in the way of children and young people reaching their potential.
SLCN impacts on educational, social & behavioural outcomes, compromising future life-chances. Models of working in secondary settings vary according to individual needs.
Most of our activity for this age group is at targeted and specialist levels. However, universal strategies and interventions routinely embedded in teaching and learning, can raise attainment across the board.
Here is a flavour of what we are currently doing
- Systematically pre-tutoring of ‘question’ forms and and specialist subject vocabulary from year 7
- Establishing visual supports as routine in classrooms
- Training staff to be able to assess how much their students really understand
- Developing students as optimum communicators, helping them understand the importance of speaker/listener roles for a range of functions (such as social skills & interviews)
- Developing memory skills
- Contributing to quality transition support, both for year 7s and leavers
- Delivering training in groups or as individual support for staff
- Providing assessment, intervention & support for students at crucial points on their educational journey
- Soundswell speech and language therapists are making a difference.
We encourage our schools and settings to make the most of the service we provide, but there is no 'take it or leave it' mentality.
We have a menu of options and we love the challenge of developing new approaches too.
REQUEST A CALLBACK
Contact us for a no obligation chat about your needs and how we could help
If you are worried about not having a large enough budget to see any lasting impact - speak to us, we can help you, and we'll set realistic and measurable outcomes